19 May 2013
It was Benedict XVI who had invited the ecclesial movements and new communities to Rome; after he resigned he passed this invitation “as a legacy” to his successor – thus on Pentecost Saturday several hundreds of thousands of Catholics from all over the world came to Rome to join Pope Francis in praying for the Holy Spirit. Just as the previous meetings in 1998 and 2006, it was an extraordinary event: Already several hours before its start, thousands of people gathered around St. Peter’s Square. The atmosphere among the people waiting for hours crammed together, was surprising. Many carried flags, banners or other symbols of their movement. Conversations were started, and over and again, someone began a praise song or a prayer.
The Master of Ceremonies led through a programme of songs and creative presentations as well as testimonies and meditations by representatives of various movements and communities. In the late afternoon, the excitement rose when on the huge screens Francis was seen in his popemobile making his way through the crowds to the main stage. The new Pope was obviously enjoying the gathering. His face was full of joy as he was riding through the crowds and also later when speaking to the faithful and praying with them. Archbishop Rino Fisichella, the president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting New Evangelization, greeted the Holy Father in the name of all who had come from all over the world. First Francis prayed with those present before the icon of Our Lady “Salus Populi Romani”. Then four young people posed him questions which he answered in a catechesis, followed by the “Veni Creator Spiritus”, the ancient prayer of the Church for a new outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
The next day, on Pentecost Sunday, many believers from movements and communities returned for the Eucharist which Pope Francis celebrated in St. Peter’s Square. Here, Francis called the movements “fruits of the coming of the Holy Spirit” and emphasized their positive contribution to the church. He encouraged all to open up to the Holy Spirit who also continues to renew the Church. What he desires for the Church is a longing for unity, an eagerness to reach out and a missionary heart.
Francis encouraged the movements and communities: "I would like to thank all the movements, associations, communities and ecclesial groups. You are a gift and a treasure in the Church! This is what you are! I thank in particular all of you who have come from Rome and from so many parts of the world. Always convey the power of the Gospel! Do not be afraid! Always feel joy and enthusiasm for communion in the Church! May the Risen Lord be with you constantly and may Our Lady protect you!”
On Pentecost Sunday in the afternoon, ICCRS and the Italian communities of the CR had invited to a “Pentecost of the Nations” celebration in the St Paul Outside the Walls Basilica. The afternoon was an excellent mix of worship and prayer, testimonies and short messages (Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, Italy, and Mons. Joseph Malagrecca, USA) ending in a solemn Pentecost Eucharist. Long after the day had ended, the members of my German pilgrimage group continued to rave about this meeting: It is always great to experience the international aspect of our CR-movement. The day was filled with fellowship with brothers and sisters and with the joy of the Holy Spirit!
One of the great events in the Year of Faith will be the Day for the Movements with the Holy Father, which will take place in 18 and 19 May 2013 at St Peter’s Square, Rome (Italy). Now, the election of our new Pope Francis will make this appointment more expected and participated. So, in view of this special meeting with the Supreme Pontiff, ICCRS has planned—in collaboration with the most representatives Italian Charismatic realities—a special programme ‘Pentecost of the Nations’ to be held in the afternoon of Sunday, 19th of May, for all those in the CCR who will come to Rome at Pentecost, from all over the world. The celebration will be held at St. Paul Basilica Outside the Walls. Here a summary of the various meetings:
- Saturday morning, 18 May: Pilgrimage to the Tomb of the Apostle Peter · St Peter Basilica.
- Saturday afternoon, 18 May: Pentecost Vigil with the Holy Father · St Peter Square.
- Sunday morning, 19 May: Solemn Eucharistic Celebration with the Holy Father · St Peter Square.
- Sunday afternoon, 19 May: ICCRS ‘Pentecost of the Nations’ Celebration · St Paul Outside the Walls Basilica.
‘PENTECOST OF THE NATIONS’ CELEBRATION
ST PAUL BASILICA · 19 MAY
Here the tentative programme of the ‘Pentecost of the Nations’ Celebration on 19 May at St Paul Basilica:
- 13.30 Welcome (opening the door of the Basilica)
- 15.00 Praise and worship
- 1st Meditation: “They were all filled with the Holy Spirit: Pentecost yesterday and today” (cf. Acts 2:4), by Mons. Joseph Malagrecca, USA + Testimony
- 2nd Meditation: “Pentecost and the Charismatic Renewal in the Third Millenium”, by Fr Raniero Cantalamessa, Italy + Testimony
- Parade of the Nations and solemn invocation of the Holy Spirit
1. FLAGS & COSTUMES: We invite the attendees to bring their traditional costumes and national flags for the Parade of the Nations. It will be a picturesque opportunity to rejoice in the Lord with their own folk expressions.
2. TRANSLATIONS: Please notify ICCRS at email@example.com if you need any translation: We will organise translations in specific languages only if requested. Consider that you will be requested your personal ID card at the receipt of the headphones during the event.
- Fr Raniero Cantalamessa, Italy
- Mons. Joseph Malagrecca, USA
Venue & Accomodation
Please notice that ICCRS will not provide or organise accommodation for this event or transportation from the airport to the venue and during the stay in Rome during the events.
DIRECTIONS TO REACH ST PAUL OUTSIDE THE WALLS BASILICA
· FROM ST PETER SQUARE:
By bus: walk until the bus stop P.ZA PIA/CONCILIAZIONE and take the bus 23 (PINCHERLE/PARRAVANO), then get off at OSTIENSE / LGT S. PAOLO.
By subway: walk until OTTAVIANO station and take the LINEA B (LAURENTINA), then get off at BASILICA DI SAN PAOLO.
· FROM TERMINI:
By bus: take the bus 170 (AGRICOLTURA), then get off at MARCONI/EDISON and walk until the basilica.
By subway: take the LINEA B (LAURENTINA), then get off at BASILICA DI SAN PAOLO.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· VISA: For this occasion, ICCRS is not able to send invitation letters for visa to enter Italy, since people should come mainly to event with the Pope. Therefore, everyone has to process the visa personally.
PILGRIMAGE, VIGIL AND MASS WITH THE HOLY FATHER
ST PETER BASILICA/SQUARE · 18-19 MAY
In order to participate to the meetings with the Holy Father (Saturday Pilgrimage to the Tomb of St Peter and Vigil and Sunday Mass), people need to book their entrance tickets with the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelisation via e-mail: email@example.com or fax: +39 06 698 695 21. Download the programme of the Pontifical events at St Peter Basilica and Square:
Download the registration form for pilgrimage groups (to be sent directly to the e-mail of the Dicastery indicated above):